Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Jan. 16 - Write About A Bed


As the time drew near for your arrival, dear little one, we did what all anxious parents do. We assembled your bed. We placed it near my side of our bed for easier night time feedings. When we finished, I ran one hand over your little blanket and rested the other on my large stomach to feel your movement. I longed to hold you in my arms.

I will never forget the moments leading up to your birth, from my water breaking early in the morning, the excitement of your older brother when we woke him up and announced you were on your way, to your actual birth in the hospital. You had a beautiful birth and your daddy was by my side through out your arrival. He was proud, nervous, and caring as any new daddy is. I knew he was going to be a great father.

Of course, after your birth the most anticipated day was the day you and I would go home, but dear little one, you came down with a fever so they wouldn't let you go. I was sad and worried, but the first couple of days they let me stay with you. One of the hardest days of my life was the day I had to go home without you. The sight of your empty bed was heart wrenching. I cried myself to sleep. We would go through this several more nights before you were released. Exactly one week from the day of your birth you finally got to come home to your little bed. Our family was complete.

Now here you are three years later. You outgrew your little bed and have a big boy bed. When I think about your first week of life, I think of all the babies who didn't get to come home for weeks, months, or even at all. The babies that filled the NICU where you slept without me. The sorrow their parents felt. That's when I hold you a little tighter and feel blessed you are healthy and growing into a wonderful little boy who I can tuck into bed every night.

No comments:

Post a Comment