Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Jan. 02: Write About a Time Someone Said No


"No," he said, his little fists clenched in defiance. "No, no, no!"

My precious little one began his long journey toward independence with that one tiny word. It broke my heart and filled me with joy all at once, even while I was wrestling with frustration toward his acting out. I had two choices. I could be the mean guy. Instead, I picked him up and held him close. I could feel the anger leaving his little body as it gave way to tiny sobs.

"Shhh," I whispered. "You've had a busy day. You're tired. It's time for bed."

Instead of taking him right to bed, however, I grabbed a blanked and wrapped him up. I headed to our well worn recliner and cuddled him like I did when he was an infant. These days are passing quickly and I wanted to cherish every moment I am blessed with. I sat with him and softly told him how much his daddy and I loved him until he drifted off to sleep. Then I sat a little longer just gazing at his beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment